The Jamaica Stool, designed by Pepe Cortés for BD Barcelona Design, is a slick and minimalist bar stool with an instantly recognisable shape. The stool is widely recognised as a Spanish design classic and one of the best designed bar stools of all time. The Jamaica stool comes in 3 different heights with the seat either in the classic cast aluminium or in solid beech. The lowest version of the stool also comes with castors. The Jamaica Stool works well in both private and in commercial spaces, for example in bars, restaurants or around the kitchen counter.
Pepe Cortés, born in Barcelona in 1946, studied design at Eina School where he was later a teacher. At the beginning of the '70s he linked up with professionals in different areas and founded the Grupo Abierto de Disefio (Open Design Group). During that decade he designed the Oriol and Cubic jewellery, the Werner record store and the Poliglas offices. He now collaborates with design companies worldwide, including BD Barcelona Design.
BD Barcelona Design is a unique brand at the intersection between art and design. Founded in 1972, Its owners come from an architectural background and have consistently championed beauty over pure functionality. Its skilled craftsmen in Barcelona create superior quality furniture and objects from design icons such as Antoni Gaudi, Salvador Dali and Ettore Sottsass as well as leading contemporary designers such as Jaime Hayon.
- Design: Pepe Cortés
- Year: 1991
- Dimensions and weights (Aluminium version): High W 51 x D 48 x H 81 cm x Seat H 77 x Footrest H 29 cm - 4.2 kg / Medium W 47 x D 43 x H 71 cm x Seat H 66 x Footrest H 20 cm - 3.9 kg / Low + wheels W 43 x D 40 x H 49 x Seat H 45 cm (no Footrest) - 3.2 kg
- Dimensions and weights (Wood version): High W 51 x D 48 x H 83 cm x Seat H 80 x Footrest H 29 cm - 5.2 kg / Medium W 47 x D 43 x H 73 cm x Seat H 70 x Footrest H 20 cm - 4.9 kg / Low + wheels W 43 x D 40 x H 51 cm x Seat H 48 cm (no Footrest) - 4.2 kg
- Material: structure of 5 legs in chromed steel tubes; the swivel mechanised system at the base of the seat is made of steel; swivel seat in bright polished cast aluminium or solid varnished beech, rotation system in aluminium or steel (depending on the seat version) with nylon 6.6 caps; wheels are made of polyamide and reinforced with a grey band for hard floors; load capacity: 35 kg per wheel; standard stool GLIDERS/STOP
- Origin: made in Spain
- Delivery: 4 - 6 weeks
- The Jamaica Stool is certified to standards: UNE EN16139:2013 L2 severe use; “Furniture, strength, durability and safety. Domestic and non-domestic seating”
- Maintenance: clean with a damp cloth using just water or a neutral soap; use of an organic flannel is recommended; do not use any alcohol or solvents or any other product containing any of these derivatives; unsuitable for outdoor use
Tech Sheet and other Technical Specifications