The Knitting Chair is a modern classic designed by Ib Kofod-Larsen in 1951. Originally launched as a limited edition, it is now released for a broader audience by Menu. The triangular construction of the chair frame looks strikingly sculptural, while the the upholstered backrest is curved to provide maximum comfort. The distinctive holes in the backrest are positioned to rest the elbows, originally intended for knitting but also perfect for reading. This sophisticated and timelessly elegant armchair looks great in both contemporary and classic design schemes, whether it is in a living room, reception area or hotel room.
The Knitting Chair is handcrafted by skilled craftsmen in Sweden, using high quality solid oak, plywood and upholstery. The options below show the fabric combinations which are available for expedited shipping. Other upholstery options (for regular, unexpedited shipping) are also available, please enquire for more details.
Ib Kofod-Larsen was an acclaimed Danish furniture designer known for his work created for British company G-Plan and Faarup, a Danish company. Born in 1921, his distinctive designs feature comfortable materials and simplistic lines, with circular seats and pointed legs. Kofod-Larsen's work became increasingly sought-after during the 1950s and 1960s, typically featuring organic and minimal pieces made specifically for the Swedish market. He continued to design storage and furniture items in Sweden throughout the 1960s, and died in 2003.
Menu is a Danish design company founded in 1976. Collaborating with some of the most talented designers in the world, they deliver high quality design with a crisp Scandinavian look referred to as "soft minimalism". Menu is passionate about design, new materials and clever, functional details - innovations that make a genuine difference.
- Dimensions: W 71.3 x D 66.9 x H 90.6 x SH 30 cm
- Materials: Frame - wax stained solid oak / Seat & Back - plywood, foam, leather
- Finishes: frame in dark stained oak or natural oak / upholstery in Dakar 0311 leather or in Colline 118 fabric or Dakar 0250 leather
- For more information on upholstery options please refer to the Menu Upholstery Catalogue
- Upholstery compliant with UK fire safety standards (CMHR foam)
- Product Tech Sheet
- Delivery: approximately 6-8 weeks (fabric version available from early September 2019)